Livestock Fisheries Development Project
MIDENO mounted the Grass Field project (GP) to the tune of 66 billion FCFA but was too heavy for the African Development Bank (ADB) to Finance.
Livestock & Fisheries aspects of the project were suppressed to be funded later as a separate project.
Luckily, ADB provided funds in the grass field project for feasibility studies of the livestock & fisheries project.
MIDENO carried out the Feasibility study and the Islamic Development Bank (IDB) was contacted through MINEPAT to fund LIFIDEP. IDB accepted to fund the Project.
PROJECT COST & DURATION
The project is co-financed by IDB & the Government of Cameroon (GoC) to the tune of $58.19 million(about 29,095 billion CFA) :
- $52.44 million (26,220 billion FCFA) provided by IDB &
- $5.75 million (2.875 billion FCFA) by GoC.
Project duration is six(6) years (2014-2019) and comprises the following components :
Livestock Development Component
The objective of this component is to improve the production and productivity of livestock in the Region through :
- Enhancing the productivity of the indigenous(cattle, small ruminants and poultry);
- Improving the pasture and animal feed;
- Improving animal health and the delivery of the veterinary services;
- Improving the marketing of livestock and livestock products.
Fisheries Development Component
This component has two sub-components:
- Development of Fish Farming;
- Development and Capture Fisheries.
The project will provide a line of microcredit financing to support the intensification of the livestock and the fisheries production and in the diversification of income generating activities.
Technical Assistance Component
This component includes : Consultancies, Design, Engineering and Supervision, and Capacity Building.
The Project Management Unit
The PMU, lodged in MIDENO will have the following tasks :
- Monitoring and supervising the implementation of the entire work programme and budget;
- Preparation of bidding documents;
- Establishment of financial statements;
- Management of special account and payment of staff salaries
The coordination of the activities of the various components is carried out by the Project Coordinator, who is assisted by six key staff.